313: Design Process Automation
This week, we answer a couple listener questions—which design automation tools we use and how to efficiently look for a job—and rattle off a few things we'd like to see announced at the September Apple Event. And as always, we share a couple cool things like a 64-button mashup and a state-of-the-art mouse.
- Rafa and Kevin are back from summer vacation with a new episode of Layout!
Apple Event Preview:
- Q: Cameron Stark asks, "What is the best way or most efficient way to look for and find job opportunities?"
- A: Although it's not the most efficient method, we've found the following to be an effective way of finding work: develop your skills, insert yourself into whichever community you'd like to be a part of, make friends, do good work, learn from your peers, and hope you have the right skills in the right place at the right time when one of them knows about a job opening.
- Q: Nikita Voloboev asks, "Do you use any tools to automate your design process?"
- Karabiner is "a powerful and stable keyboard customizer for macOS"
- Alfred "boosts your efficiency with hotkeys, keywords, text expansion and more"
- A: We like the following tools and plugins:
- Keyboard Maestro helps you "automate virtually anything"
- Figma plugins are great, and you can even write your own!
- Yoink helps you "simplify and improve drag and drop on your Mac and speed up your daily workflow"
- Artboard Manager "automatically arranges the position of all Artboards in your Sketch document, to snap them to rows & columns"
- Layer Tools is "a box for random useful sketch commands meant to make work with layers easier"
- Runner helps you "perform Sketch actions quicker with your keyboard"
- Symbol Organizer helps you "organize your symbols page alphabetically (including layer list) and into groupings determined by your symbol names"
- Renamer helps you "select multiple layer(s)/group(s)/artboard(s) and rename all of them with just a single click or a quick shortcut"
- Rename It helps you "keep your design files organized, batch rename layers and more"
- Have your own suggestions you'd like to share? Add them to the issue!
One Cool Thing:
Design Details on the Web: