285: Deadly American Idol
This week, we discuss spoken accents, answer a listener question about salary negotiations, and Marshall dives deep into the design of Apex Legends. And as always, we share a couple cool things, like a hip hop musical and a way to bring joy back to your Twitter timeline.
- Jak McCormack wants us to attempt English accents. No thank you, Jak 😜
- Anton Osipov shared a helpful visual for using a unit-based vertical baseline.
- Zain Khoja shared studentswho.design, a podcast bridging the gap between students and the design industry - by students, for students.
- An anonymous listener asks: "I’m about to change jobs and soon I’ll have initial call with someone from one of the companies I could potentially work for. I don’t want to invest too much of my time in multiple calls and meetings with them before being sure the offer meets my expectations, especially in terms of salary. But I also don’t want to be considered as one of those guys who care only about money. So my question is: what’s the right moment to talk about this? Should that be something to talk about during the very first call? Or maybe later? For context: it was the company who reached out to me whether I’d be interested in the role."
- HBR wrote about what people want from their jobs.
Explain Like I'm Five:
One Cool Thing:
Design Details on the Web: