312: Managing a Design Systems Team (feat. Diana Mounter)
September 4, 2019
In today's episode, Diana Mounter, who manages the design infrastructure at GitHub, helps us dive deep into a listener question about the role and expectations of a design systems manager. And we have a big round of cool things this week, including three books, an album, and a plugin.
- Diana Mounter manages the design infrastructure known as Primer at GitHub.
- You can listen to Diana's previous appearances on Design Details in the following episodes:
- agabrans asks, "What is the role of a Design Systems Manager, and what is expected of this individual?"
One Cool Thing:
- Diana shared three things:
- Bitmoji for Slack lets you "bring office chat to life with your own personal emoji"
- "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson is "the breathtaking tale of a wealthy tech entrepreneur caught in the very real crossfire of his own online fantasy war game"
- The sign in Jimmy John's reads: "Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
- Dan Brown is known for his fluffy but exciting thriller novels like "The DaVinci Code"
- "Wallop" (YouTube playlist) is the latest album from !!!
- Marshall shared "Fall; or, Dodge in Hell: A Novel" by Neal Stephenson, "a wildly inventive and entertaining science fiction thriller that unfolds in the near future, in parallel worlds"
- The "Bobiverse" series by Dennis E. Taylor is the story of a programmer who dies suddenly and, after being cryogenically frozen, wakes up as an AI in a vastly changed world
- "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson is "an exciting and thought-provoking science fiction epic—a grand story of annihilation and survival spanning five thousand years"
- Brian shared "How to Stop Time" by Matt Haig, "a love story across the ages—and for the ages—about a man lost in time, the woman who could save him, and the lifetimes it can take to learn how to live"
- "2312" by Kim Stanley Robinson is "the story of a future where humanity has populated miraculous new habitats engineered across the solar system--and the one death that triggers a precarious chain of events that could destroy it all"
Design Details on the Web: